Maintenance Technician II - Taber, AB
Are you searching for a long-term career position with a strong company offering a solid track record of success? If you have the qualities necessary to become a UniFirst team partner, and the technical skill-set to succeed, then this is an opportunity for you to join our growing company!
Repair, maintain, install, and troubleshoot industrial equipment, systems, and components, including but not limited to: large capacity washers and dryers, pneumatic and steam systems, conveyor systems, and boilers. Assist with managing and executing preventive/predictive maintenance, resolving safety concerns, and maintaining an industrial laundry facility. Perform indoor and outdoor facility and equipment repair. Performs maintenance tasks in accordance with all Company safety policies and approved maintenance procedures.
A. Equipment and Facility Maintenance
- Ensures safe operation of machinery, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems equipment and components.
- Uses common tools including but not limited to: hand and power tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills and wrenches, precision measuring instruments, and electrical and electronic testing devices.
- Troubleshoots sources of equipment problems by observing mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems equipment and component devices in the operation; uses precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Removes defective parts by dismantling devices; using hoists, cranes, and hand and power tools.
- Executes changes in dimensional requirements of parts by inspecting parts using rulers, calipers, micrometers, and other measuring instruments.
- Adjusts functional parts of devices and controls instruments by using hand tools, levels, plumb bobs, and straight edges.
- Assists other maintenance personnel with emergency and non-emergency repairs.
- Performs various welding activities including MIG, TIG, ARC, cutting, and brazing.
- Troubleshoots and repairs Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s) and associated control systems.
- Performs boiler chemical testing; records result in log books; and makes necessary chemistry adjustments.
- Performs daily and weekly safety checks on boilers and makes necessary repairs.
- Performs wastewater pretreatment system testing; record results in logbooks; and makes necessary chemistry adjustments.
- Records and analyzes meter readings of utilities in logs and takes corrective actions where appropriate.
- Cleans and lubricates shafts, bearings, gears, and other parts of location equipment per work procedures or technical manual.
- Inspects motors and belts, checks fluid levels, replaces filters, and performs other maintenance actions while following maintenance records.
- Performs daily and weekly location and systems safety checks and follows up to address concerns.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures and regulations.
- Performs Lockout/Tagout procedures where appropriate.
- Performs Confined Space procedures where appropriate.
- Utilizes a Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Prepares maintenance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintains current maintenance records including but not limited to:
- Preventive maintenance logs on all equipment and systems.
- Equipment failure, problems, parts used and steps taken to make repairs.
- Shift change logs.
- Utilities usage logs
- Assists in maintaining and updating a repair parts list and equipment contact vendor list.
- Maintains an action list (including non-maintenance related items) prepared by the Maintenance Supervisor and approved by the Production Manager.
- Assists with identifying and evaluating outside service companies that may be more cost effective to work on certain projects.
- Conserves maintenance resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Maintains equipment, parts, and supplies by monitoring and replenishing appropriate inventory.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and establishing professional networks, and attending job-required training.
- Anticipates maintenance issues and takes corrective action to reduce or eliminate downtime.
- Communicates with Management if there are any issues that may result in downtime for the operation.
- Responds to emergency alarms.
- Provides maintenance information to appropriate partners.
- Assists other maintenance personnel with emergency and non-emergency repairs.
- Executes assignments on an action list (including non-maintenance related items) prepared by the Maintenance Supervisor and approved by the Production Manager.
- Mentors Maintenance Technician Level I, Maintenance Utility, Maintenance Custodian Technician, and Maintenance Trainee staff members.
- Equipment Maintenance Knowledge – Minimum of 1 year work experience repairing industrial processing equipment in an industrial environment required. Applicable military experience will be considered.
- Ability to read blueprints and schematics required.
- Ability to read and understand maintenance literature printed in English required.
- Basic computer and Microsoft office skills required.
- Experience using Hand & Power tools required.
- Lockout/Tagout experience required.
- Prior welding experience including MIG, TIG, ARC, cutting, and brazing preferred.
- Experience with formalized safety programs preferred.
- Prior experience using a Computerized Maintenance Management System preferred.
- HVAC experience preferred.
- Boiler knowledge preferred.
- Prioritization - Prioritizes multiple tasks properly to meet deadlines; recognizes time constraints and adjusts work schedule and priorities to address them; manages time wisely to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Problem Analysis - Anticipates or recognizes the existence of problems; identifies the true nature of problems by assessing component parts; accurately determines the underlying causes of problems and identifies appropriate information to gather to help solve them.
- Critical Thinking - Uses inductive and deductive reasoning to formulate general rules or principles and applies them to work; identifies flaws in logical reasoning; understands complex conceptual relationships; accurately detects underlying themes or patterns in data.
- Negotiation - Persuasively articulates own position, carefully listens to others’ positions, and tailors’ negotiation tactics to bring all parties together and reach desired outcomes; strikes a balance between being firm and being willing to compromise resulting in outcomes that enhance group or organizational effectiveness; demonstrates fairness and searching for win-win solutions throughout the negotiation process.
- High school diploma or GED required. Two-year technical degree in an appropriate background preferred.
UniFirst is one of North America’s largest workwear and textile service companies, providing managed uniform, protective clothing, and custom corporate image apparel programs to businesses in diverse industries. Our Core Values of Customer Focus, Respect for Others, and Commitment to Quality are what has made UniFirst successful since 1936.
Join the team that puts customers and your future first – UniFirst.
UniFirst offers a Fleet of Benefits, 50+ to be exact!
RRSP with Company Match, Profit Sharing, Health Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Life Insurance, Supplemental Life Insurance, Long Term Disability, Vacation, Sick Time, Paid Holidays, Direct Payroll Deposit, Tuition Reimbursement, 30% Employee Discount, Employee Referral Program
UniFirst is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
UniFirst is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@unifirst.com or call (978) 658-8888 to let us know the nature of your request.
- Customer Service Representative - UniFirst Vernon, California, United States
- Project Engineer Stockroom - UniFirst , United States
- Corporate Stockroom Operations & Inventory Specialist , United States