Bilingual Employee Relations Specialist
Location:Wilmington, Massachusetts; Brownsville, Texas; Salinas, California; Laredo, Texas; El Paso, Texas; Orlando, Florida
*This role is a remote work opportunity*
Where will a UniFirst Career take you?
As an industry leader in the rental, lease and sale of uniforms and facility services products, UniFirst Corporation has grown to become one of the largest companies in the garment services industry.
UniFirst is recognized on the Forbes“Platinum 400 - Best Big Companies” List. With over 14,000 employee Team Partners and more than 250 facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe, you are never just a number when you work for UniFirst. What sets us apart from all other companies is that we still function as a family run business. When you work for UniFirst, you’re family!
UniFirst Corporation has a strong history of promoting from within. In fact, most of UniFirst's Senior Managers have come from within the Company. Opportunities are endless for those individuals who possess a strong work ethic, a commitment to quality, and above all else, a passion for delivering quality customer service, both internally and externally.
Our culture is what makes UniFirst an organization that stands out from the rest. Are you interested in loving your job? Find out just how far a career with UniFirst can take you.
The Employee Relations Specialist is a member of the Human Resources team and works under the general direction of the Human Resources Manager performing a range of HR functions within their assigned Regions. The Employee Relations Specialist serves as a trusted advisor to field managers and Team Partners to provide guidance on a wide range of employee relations issues. This role will participate in proactive employee relations initiatives and other HR programs that contribute to overall strategy of the department and the organization.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- The Employee Relations Specialist is part of the C.A.R.E. Team (Conversations, Answers, Respect, and Education) and participates in other proactive employee relations initiatives with the goal of cultivating high quality working environments for our team partners
- Counsels managers concerning employee performance issues, including advising on employee coaching, performance improvement plans, corrective actions, and terminations, minimizing the risk of adverse action
- Assist in investigating and monitoring claims of harassment, discrimination, workplace violence and other issues to reach an effective resolution
- Serve as a role model, ambassador, and teacher of company values, vision, and standards of conduct. Counsel and support leaders and employees and recommend effective actions that will lead to the desired culture
- In collaboration with HR Leadership, recommends and assists with writing and communicating HR policies and procedures
- Administer the process for receiving, evaluating documenting and responding to all reasonable accommodations requests under the ADA
- Maintain, train and monitor compliance with annual performance evaluation program
- Provides support during any Government audit within assigned Regions. This can include OFCCP /Affirmative Action, Wage & Hour, Immigration compliance and any other Federal or State level audits
- Works through the direction of the Company's Affirmative Action Officer to ensure we consistently meet our AA/EEOC requirements in our field operations.
- Train field managers on their roles and responsibilities regarding policy and legal compliance
- Responsible for monitoring unemployment claims for their assigned regions
- Work in conjunction with Workers' Compensation Department to ensure implementation of relevant aspects of Medical Leave and Light Duty policies
- Work in conjunction with Safety Department to ensure implementation of proactive safety initiatives and provide education on policies and procedures as needed
- Assist with the implementation of any Benefits and Payroll/Compensation initiatives
UniFirst offers a Fleet of Benefits, 50+ to be exact!
- 401K with Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Health Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Direct Payroll Deposit
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 30% Employee Discount
- Employee Referral Program
- 1-2 years of experience in Human Resources and experience in Employee Relations highly preferred
- Bilingual in Spanish is not required but highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field is required, PHR or SHRM certification a plus
- Experience managing highly confidential information and complex situations with discretion and sensitivity
- Working knowledge of employment law required
- Excellent communication and critical thinking skills required. Bilingual (Spanish) skills a plus
- Strong facilitation and training skills in presenting to small and large groups
- Ability to analyze statistical data; PeopleSoft knowledge preferred
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Positions requires moderate travel dependent upon business needs (can be up to 50% at times)
UniFirst is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment against any individual on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws
UniFirst is an equal employment/affirmative action employer. If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please send an e-mail to TalentAcquisition@unifirst.com or call (978) 658-8888 to let us know the nature of your request.