Reliability Support Engineer- UniFirst
Location:South Carolina; Virginia; North Carolina; Tennessee; Missouri
To lead reliability initiatives for UniFirst field locations who perform maintenance on buildings, facilities, and assets to raise the level of asset reliability through the improvement of maintenance practices. Partners in this position will make visits to field locations on a regular basis to assist in technical training, partner development, maintenance team coaching and mentoring, implementation of reliability processes and practices, and equipment optimization and cost management.
This individual will act as a Business Partner to field locations where there is a two-way accountability support structure in assisting locations in improvement tasks, processes, and everyday routines. This position must also represent the Corporate interests of the entire organization in ensuring locations are adhering to requirements implemented by Company leadership.
General Job Responsibilities:
- Supports the UniFirst safety culture in practice and observation. Assists Safety engineers and field partners in safety process improvement, record keeping, and scorecards / audits.
- Provides guidance and oversight to field locations in the implementation of various UniFirst reliability and maintenance initiatives.
- Makes regular visits to assigned field locations to coach, mentor, train, and develop maintenance human capital resources.
- Performs Reliability Playbook / Scorecard coaching visits at field locations. Work with locations to drive progress on critical action items. Assist field locations in raising their reliability and maintenance scores and other Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Conducts Reliability Scorecard audits at field locations as assigned.
- Drafts and publishes various reliability, maintenance, and after visit reports.
- Follows up on reliability and maintenance action plans to track and assess progress of field locations.
- Assists in the implementation of various reliability improvement initiatives across the organization. i.e. Reliability Playbook / Scorecards, Computerized Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS), predictive maintenance (PdM) practices, and other technical tools.
- Provides hands-on / side by side assistance to assist in training UniFirst maintenance partners.
- Ensures locations in the assigned group are completing Preventive Maintenance processes and tasks as required in the CMMS and as directed by leadership.
- Provides input to improve equipment and production / maintenance processes.
- Provides input to improve building designs relating to maintenance and equipment reliability processes.
- Works with vendors to measure performance and ensures field locations are receiving required and proper support.
- Acts as a liaison between vendors / suppliers, field locations, engineering, and leadership to resolve issues, negotiate solutions, and improve support to UniFirst.
- Works with contractors to assist field locations and monitors contractor safety practices to ensure they meet UniFirst, OSHA, and local codes, regulations, and requirements.
- Monitors all maintenance related regulatory and environmental compliance requirements within assigned field locations.
- Communicates with Management by conducting debriefs of all field visits, through presentations for training, initiative implementation, process changes, etc.
- Assists locations in planning for capital project improvements, budgeting, and installation of equipment.
- Monitors and assures adherence to all aspects of safety within the maintenance department of assigned locations – as well as throughout the plant organization.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Performs Confined Space procedures where appropriate.
- Performs Lockout/Tagout procedures where appropriate.
- Monitors training status of maintenance partners within assigned field locations.
- Utilizes a Computerized Maintenance Management Systems software tool.
- Monitors maintenance budget performance for building, equipment, capital expenditures, and parts & labor of assigned field locations.
- Prepares reliability and maintenance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Ensures that field locations are managing Maintenance Records that includes a current equipment file including but not limited to the following:
- Equipment failure, problems, parts used and steps taken to make repairs.
- Daily use of the shift change log between all Maintenance partners.
- Maintenance records/files for each piece of equipment.
- Records and analyzes meter readings of utilities in logs and takes corrective actions where appropriate.
- Prepares prioritizes, and assigns a work order list to Maintenance Technician I and II, Maintenance Utility, Maintenance Custodian Technician, and Maintenance Trainee staff as assigned.
- Frequently communicates with and negotiates with field locations to develop action plans, follow up systems, training steps, and assists in resolving differences of opinion on matters relating to reliability and maintenance of UniFirst assets.
- Assists with identifying and evaluating outside service companies that may be more cost effective to work on certain projects.
- Assists field locations with securing bids from vendors for projects requiring external labor, parts, and/or supplies.
- Teaches, trains, and develops maintenance partners.
- Identifies and coordinates training for partners on preventive and repair maintenance.
- Actively participates in the hiring processes for maintenance technicians and supervisors in all assigned field locations.
- Actively seeks out opportunities to improve the UniFirst safety and maintenance training products and practices.
E. Inventory Control
- Assists in conserving maintenance resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results. Provides mentoring to Maintenance Supervisors in achieving this function.
F. Personal Development
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing technical publications, and establishing professional networks, and attending job-required training.
- Provides regular debriefs to assigned manager.
Performs all other duties as assigned by manager.
- Equipment Maintenance Knowledge – minimum of 5 years of work experience repairing and installing machinery and processing equipment in an industrial environment. Applicable military experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience supervising maintenance personnel is preferred.
- Equipment knowledge such as wiring, electrical, electronic components, pipe systems and plumbing, and mechanical required.
- Maintenance Management experience including planning, scheduling, budgeting, negotiating, parts management, vendor management, maintenance management systems required.
- Ability to and have experience in troubleshooting, performing root cause analysis, and logically solving equipment and process related issues is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to read blueprints and schematics required.
- Ability to read and understand maintenance literature printed in English required.
- General Boiler and Steam systems knowledge preferred.
- Basic welding equipment knowledge preferred.
- HVAC experience preferred.
- Certification applicable to reliability is preferred such as CPMM, CMRP, etc. is highly desirable.
1. Prioritization / Time Management - Prioritizes multiple tasks properly to meet deadlines; recognizes time constraints and adjusting work schedule and priorities to address them; manages time wisely to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity.
2. Critical Thinking - Uses inductive and deductive reasoning to formulate general rules or principles and apply them to work; identifies flaws in logical reasoning; understanding complex conceptual relationships; accurately detects underlying themes or patterns in data.
3. Negotiation - Persuasively articulates own position, carefully listens to others’ positions, and tailors negotiation tactics to bring all parties together and reach desired outcomes; strikes a balance between being firm and being willing to compromise resulting in outcomes that enhance group or organizational effectiveness; demonstrates fairness and searching for win-win solutions throughout the negotiation process.
4. Coaching and Development - Accurately assesses employee’s strengths and developmental needs; giving informative and constructive feedback in a manner that enhances others’ motivation; providing challenging assignments and opportunities for development; guiding others to overcome setbacks and learn from experience.
5. Problem Solving – Uses a logical thought process to determine situational issues or root causes creating conflict, delay, process failures, and other issues affecting the productivity of the Company or any of its functions; and devises and implements solutions to these issues.
- High school Diploma or GED required.
- Two-year technical degree in an appropriate background preferred.
- A four-year engineering degree or military equivalent training is highly desirable.
- Driving Ability
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Valid non-commercial driver’s license.
- Safe driving record.
- Must be able to travel extensively up to 75% of the time.
UniFirst is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment against any individual on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws